The French word "chalet" is usually called a small building made of wood with a characteristic overhanging roof. Chalet - a kind of national Swiss housing, has become popular, thanks to the Alpine resort towns.
In the style of the chalet usually built country houses or small, cozy hotels. The chalet does not have to be built entirely of wood, quite often the first floor is made of stone. Despite the fact that the first chalets were shepherds' huts (this is how the word is translated), modern buildings built in this style do not look like a dwelling for the poor. As a rule, a chalet is a solid, two-, three-storey building, furnished in accordance with modern ideas of comfort.
Today, in the chalet style, not only the houses themselves are being executed, but also separate rooms. This trend in design has become so popular that even owners of urban apartments tend to recreate in their home an interior reminiscent of the snow-covered Alps. We recommend starting the transformation of an ordinary apartment into an alpine house from the bathroom.
Features of style
The style of the chalet has much in common with rural and eco-style, but still it is quite original. Consider the characteristic features of the interior of the room, made in the style of the chalet:
- Wood and stone as basic finishing materials. Other interior elements from these materials are also welcome, for example, wooden beams under the ceiling or a stove as a source of heat.
- With the exception of plumbing fixtures, the entire furnishings, including furniture and doors, are made of natural wood or imitation materials.
- The style of the chalet does not aspire to the sophistication of the interior. Furniture and plumbing is selected by the most simple, traditional models. The real retro or aged interior items are welcome.
- Soft, calm colors. Both in the decoration and in the furnishings, a predominantly natural color palette is used.
Who will do?
Each direction in design has its fans and opponents; style chalets - no exception. Rural romance in the interior of a modern dwelling will be to the liking of not everyone. Below are the categories of people who will feel this style as comfortable as possible.
So, the chalet-style interior will suit you in the following cases:
- If you can rest only in nature and prefer to spend vacations in the country or in the village: breathe fresh air, walk through the forest, bathe in the bath and enjoy other delights of country life.
- If you are a fan of ski and other winter sports. In this case, the interior of the apartment, designed in the style of a chalet, will remind you all year round about the lovely hearts of the ski resorts.
- If your idea of coziness is to use natural materials, simple, solid furniture and a minimum of decor.
It is quite expected that in the style of a chalet, which is inherently close to a country house, natural colors are preferable. This applies not only to finishing materials, but also to furniture and accessories. Since we use wood and stone for walls and floors, it is obvious that in the surface finish all the shades of brown and gray will dominate.
Furniture in the interior of the bathroom in the style of the chalet is usually also wooden, so in color it harmonizes with the walls. Brown, red, burgundy, beige - it is in this color scheme that the interior of the room is executed.
In addition to the colors of wood and stone, in the style of the chalet there are other colors that can be found in the alpine nature, for example white, dark green, blue, yellow. But these tones should be used very carefully, since for a chalet a light, neutral color palette is preferred, practically devoid of bright spots.
Do you remember what kind of lighting is in the village houses? It is not bright, the light does not strike the eyes, the lamps do not tend to illuminate all the corners in the room. It is this effect that you need to achieve by designing the lighting in a bathroom, decorated in the style of a chalet.
However, we should not forget that this is a modern bathroom, where we spend a lot of time, including doing beauty procedures. Therefore, some areas, for example, near the mirror, should be highlighted well.
To keep the light muted, you can abandon the main ceiling lamp and break the lighting into zones using wall lights. By including them all at the same time, you will achieve good, uniform illumination. And if you want a dim, almost intimate light, it will be enough to light only one of the fixtures.
For a chalet-style bathroom, you should choose the simplest and most compact lighting fixtures. An excellent solution will be spotlights, which almost do not take up space and allow you to adjust the degree of illumination of the room.
Decor and Accessories
Elements of decor in the interior of the bathroom, made in the style of the chalet, also recall that served as a starting point for the formation of this style. The nature of the Alpine mountains and villages is reflected not only in the use of exceptionally natural finishing materials, but also in the choice of accessories.
For example, chalets are traditionally equipped with hunting trophies - stuffed animals. Of course, in the bathroom such a decor element will be out of place. Firstly, it occupies a place, which in the bathroom is already without a lot, and secondly, such products simply will not be in permanent contact with water and steam. If you want to make a certain color in the bathroom interior, limit yourself with deer horns hung on the wall. They can not only decorate the room, but also serve as a holder for towels or become the basis for creating an original lamp.
Also, pictures and figurines depicting the flora and fauna of the Alps are welcomed. Try to choose such products, which high humidity does not cause harm.
Traditionally in the style of the chalet the following types of finishes are used: the floor is made of natural stone slabs, the walls are lined with wood, on the ceiling there is also a tree or simply white plaster. But the stone floor will cost a good amount, besides, constantly cold stone - not the most suitable option for the bathroom, which we often walk barefoot. The best solution will be ceramic tiles, stylized as natural stone. It perfectly maintains contact with moisture and is much better than stone keeps heat. And if you install a "warm floor" system in the bathroom, there will be a complete feeling of walking on a stone heated up in the sun or wooden boards.
Furniture in such a bathroom should be as small as possible - just what is needed to store the necessary things. In this case, it should be the most simple: modern embedded models and glossy surfaces will be discordant with the general style of the room.
As for plumbing, you should also choose the most straightforward models from traditional materials - cast iron, acrylic and sanitary ware. Experts advise to choose for a bathroom in the style of the chalet is not white, and beige plumbing. Many prefer to mask such modern attributes of the bathroom, like a washing machine or a shower cabin with wooden boards and slats. Try it, it will turn out very unusual!
Creating a unique interior
- As in all other similar styles, the chalet actively uses handicrafts. It can be both made with own hand wooden lockers and shelves, and accessories made by handmade. For example, knitted rugs, sewn lampshades for lamps, etc.
- Potted plants in the interior of the chalet are often found and the bathroom is no exception. You should choose indoor flowers that tolerate moisture well and plant them in coarse clay pots.
- Furniture and plumbing in the bathroom, made under the chalet, must necessarily have a touch of antiquity. In order not to be wasted on expensive design models, you can achieve this effect on your own. Using the skins, you can create scrapes, and in the shops for creativity there is a huge selection of varnishes and paints, with which you can quickly age the surfaces.